Tuesday 4 October 2016

The Exodus


Her carriage betrayed her, made her profession obvious.
The absent Stethoscope was no hindrance to my predicting.
Happy to leave, her excitement was infectious.
‘Miss..’ ‘Doctor!’ She corrected as I checked her in.
I watched her go.

His phone in his ear, he made his apologies;
He was headed home – just a temporary holiday
Business would resume soon, only a few issues,
Nigeria is still my second home, he needed to say.
I watched him go.

She walked in a shuffle, burdened by expectations.
Her family’s sole hope, Dad’s severance paid for her exit.
Top of her class, should be pride of her nation.
She leaves with her knowledge, her host Nation’s profit.
And I watched her go.

His hasty footsteps, the numerous furtive looks
I recognized his face; he had recently trended.
His frustration was apparent, his demeanor spooked.
The under-fire journalist, His patience had ended.
And I watched him go.

They came in a group, airy, confident without worry.
With special dispensation, Foreign exchange a no-brainer.
My smile is wider, for tips I want them to remember me.
They’ll leave wealthy, and return shortly, even wealthier.
And I watched them go.

He was earlier than normal, his retinue even longer.
His plane had been idling. Our alertness no happenstance.
Another conference, another interview, Ah, my leader.
But I’m happy. Our relationship fares better long-distance.
I also watched him go.

I return home early tonight to the sound of my generator.
It's the norm now, the hum lures my children to slumber.
My dinner heats up, my wife completes her dressing.
Almost late; her Second job calls. We need the money.
And We all watched her go.


No comments:

Post a Comment