Wednesday 7 December 2016

Please Accept My Apologies

To the woman befuddled by constant talk of feminism,
I have no justifications, only Apologies
not for telling you who you’re equal to,
but because I needed to convince you of your equality.

And so, I apologise,
For society,
For years spent convincing you to be proper,
Unsolicited attempts to define your honour
Outfitting you in dresses, with frills and in lace,
For pirouettes and curtsies, you must speak with ‘grace’
For illusions of purity, to keep you from exploring,
And that useless strip of skin, to become your undoing,

I’m Sorry.
For Excuses,
The passes provided for man, not extended to you,
telling you to aspire, but no more than your husband
‘Ugo nwanyi bu diya’ because who the hell are you?
To wear any other achievement like an armband?
Away with you to the kitchen, for that is your office
Or the other room, for he owns that orifice

I apologise,
For the titles,
The Dr Mrs., Lady pilot, female head of state
Sobriquets functioning as reminders of your ‘place’
Making the achievers an aberration. It’s not your fate
For who would dare give strong women a heroic face?
And shame us with a revolution of wives we cannot handle.

I’m sorry,
For our parents.
Who gauge your lifespan similar to dog years;
And monitor your biological clock just like livestock,
Premium placed mainly on physical attributes
Because, how does intelligence help you breed children?

I apologise,
For concessions,
The glass ceilings placed to ensure you stay put
35% because 50 has a similarity to parity
For meaningless talk shows and seminars to allay your fears
Convince you of something being done to change the present
yet deny legislation to ensure your future.

Let me also apologise,
For not teaching you enough
Asking you to raise enduring queens rather than humble kings
Painting females as attractive when they become footstools.
Creating medals for long suffering queen mothers
For punching bags are necessary to let out a king’s anger


It’s a man’s world you say?
Then perhaps all men should be feminists.
For my gender, and all its contributions to your status,
I have no justifications, please accept my apologies,


No comments:

Post a Comment